Jul 1, 2011

The Zhejiang Gongshang University in Hangzhou, China

It was my first ever visit to mainland China and I'm lucky, it is at its height of economic growth (that is, if it has already peaked) and Hangzhou gives me a very good impression of what China can offer. China is a vast mass of land, and with that immense, cheap labor supply, its economic potential is almost limitless, it's crazy.
Well, the host university for the 2011 IAFFE Conference (International Association for Feminist Economics)  which I took part of was the Zhejiang Gongshang University in Hangzhou, 3 hours by bus from Shanghai Pudong Airport, one hour by hi-speed train. It is a huge beautiful campus located in Xiasha, Hangzhou. It reminded me of my college days in UP Los Banos, minus the convenience of jeepneys and the malls just outside the main gate. In ZJSU campus, there are no PUVs, people use bicycles, and taxi cabs which one can take from the main gates of the campus. To get to the main grocery stores and shops, you need to take a cab to the downtown, and travel about an hour. What I like most about it is that the students are all nice and helpful. Some of them speak good English, others are not but they sure did their best to help us out.
The university offers a wide range of programs, its website is www.zjgsu.edu.cn.


 A pleasant campus
Neat and spacious sidewalks, the one on the left is the lane for bicycles, farther left- main road
 One of the restaurants inside the campus
Dormitories- my room looks like a 2- or 3-star hotel for 120 yuan (about USD18)
 View from my room, bicycles neatly lined up in the street
A five-yuan breakfast meal about 35 pesos- noodles, sausage and yoghurt drink (I'd prefer a coffee though)
Like my blog on Facebook now.

No comments:

Post a Comment